I love it when software companies add unnecessary items to my context menu. With not so recent updates to the Dropbox client, you may have noticed a new context menu item that you can not remove (I don’t know why companies do this). Anyway, here’s how you can remove it:
Method 1: Remove it manually
- Right click “View raw” link at the bottom of the embedded file and click “Save link as”.
- Double click the saved file
- (optional) You may get a UAC window, click Yes.
- You will get a dialog if you want to apply this file, click Yes again.
- Congrats, now you have successfully removed “Open with PyCharm” menu item.
If you want to restore this menu item, just do the same steps with the
restore.reg file below.
Method 2: Add it to “Blocked” shell extensions
Another way Windows allows us to remove the shell extensions is by adding CLSID to the Blocked extensions list. This method is more future-proof than the first method because Dropbox may update itself and it may add the Registry keys back.
You may do this manually:
- Open Regedit.
- Go to
- Create a new Key named
Blockedif it doesn’t exist.
- Create a new String Value and set the name to:
- Restart your computer.
Or apply the Registry files I provided below: